- 12 ounces Mango Habanero Honey Smoked Salmon, skin removed and salmon flaked
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 sheets sushi nori roasted seaweed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 ataulfo mango 1/8
- 1 scallion white & green part only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, 1/8
- 1/3 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, halved and juiced
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 box 10 ounces tempura batter mix
- 1 3/4 cups ice cold water (for tempura batter)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 4 ounces micro cilantro (or 1/4 cup regular cilantro leaves minced)
Rinse the sushi rice in cold water until it runs clear. Add the rice and 1.5 cups cold water to a small pot and let it soak for 20 minutes.
Turn the heat to high, bring the water to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, cover, and cook the rice for 20 minutes, or until the rice is the proper consistency. Remove the rice from the heat, toss in the mirin, sugar, and salt, and set aside to cool.
Add the diced mango, scallion, red onion, jalapeño, hot sesame oil, and lime juice to a small bowl. Mix to combine. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil to 335 degrees F. (to hot and the tempura will brown to quickly).
Prepare the tempura batter according to box instruction--icy water is the key to success.
Dip a pastry brush into the tempura batter and brush onto one side of the nori and drop the nori into the hot oil batter side down. Place a hamburger press, or something heat safe over the nori to prevent it from curling and fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip to fry the other side for another 30 seconds. Fry until crispy, but not too brittle but still a pale color.
Remove the shell from the hot oil and while it is sill hot and pliable, bend the shell over the handle of a wooden spoon or spatula (place the spatula over a bowl so that it is secure and won't fall). Repeat until all 8 shells are fried.
Gently place a tablespoon of the sushi rice into each nori taco shell. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the rice.
Add 2 tablespoons of flaked Mango Habanero Honey Smoked Salmon on top of the rice.
Top the fish with a bit of the mango salsa and finish with a flourish of cilantro microgreens. Serve immediately.