Honey Smoked Salmon Eggs Florentine
Brunch just got fancy! Sautéed spinach, rich mornay sauce and golden puff pastries are great on their own, but add Honey Smoked Salmon into the mix and you’ve got a real showstopper of a dish.
- 4 oz Original Honey Smoked Salmon (brought to room temperature)
- 8 oz sautéed spinach
- 1 cup mornay sauce
- 4 puff pastry shells (store bought and baked until golden, following package details)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 12 oz spinach (washed with tough stems removed)
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add the spinach and sauté, stirring to wilt and combine with the shallots. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 oz grated cheese (Swiss, gruyere or emmenthaler)
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is pale yellow and frothy, about 1 minute (do not allow the roux to brown). Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese and whisk until melted. If the sauce is too thick, thin it with a little milk.
- Prepare the sautéed spinach and pastry shells, and keep warm while you prepare the eggs.
- To poach the eggs: Break eggs into individual saucers or cups. Fill a medium skillet halfway with water. Add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Pour eggs into water, cover the skillet and remove from the heat. Allow to sit for 4-5 minutes.
- When the eggs are ready, place the pastry shells on 2 plates, then place the sautéed spinach into shells, top with Honey Smoked Salmon, top with poached eggs, ladle on mornay sauce, garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately.