This sophisticated appetizer has a few steps, but is worth the effort to impress your friends and family! A crisp potato cake elevates the simple, yet savory flavors in this crowd-pleaser.
1. Clarify butter: melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. After melted, remove from heat and let solids sink to the bottom. Skim any solids from the top. Carefully pour off all liquid into a separate container, leaving behind solids that have sunk to the bottom.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Slice potatoes about 1/8 “ thick.
4. Coat a large cast iron pan or ovenproof skillet with 2 tablespoons of clarified butter. Lay out potatoes to fill the bottom of the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining potatoes to form two more layers (three in total).
5. Pour 3 more tablespoons of clarified butter over the layer so that it seeps in. Brush remaining butter on the bottom of another clean, medium/heavy skillet and use it to cover the first skillet.
6. Bake in the oven until underside is golden and crisp - about 5-7 minutes. Flip the galette with 2 metal spatulas, and recover with the second skillet. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown.
7. Remove the skillet acting as a lid - bake another 7-9 minutes, or until crisp.
8. Remove galette from the skillet, and allow to cool over a wire rack for 10 minutes.
9. Combine cream cheese and sour cream in a mixer until fluffy. Spread over the cooled galette.
10. Top with Honey Smoked Salmon, and sprinkle with chives to garnish. Cut into wedges to serve.
11. Serve and enjoy!